Position on sarcoma characterisation for biostatistician/bioinformatician
postdoc/engineer, 12+ months, Bordeaux

re-posted from bioinfo.fr, 14.05.2010

Qualifications and experience

The ideal candidate has either a MSc in statistics or bioinformatics with previous experience in high throughput data analysis and software development, or a PhD in statistics or bioinformatics. In both cases, the candidate is interested in oncology, genetics and molecular biology, has a good understanding of statistical methods and is competent in computer programming.

This is a one-year position that might be extended.


This position is in the bioinformatics group at the Bergonie Cancer Institute of Bordeaux. In collaboration with Frederic Chibon and Jean-Michel Coindre.
Scientific research at the Bergonie Cancer Institute covers the full spectrum of cancer research, from studies on tumour biology to clinical trials and epidemiology. The basic scientists are integrated into an INSERM unit whose goal is to identify and validate new gene signatures and drug targets. We approach the problem at three levels:
   Preclinical validation
   Clinical validation
Individual scientists and clinicians work together in groups mostly based on tumour type. The newly created bioinformatics group has two main roles:
   Development of bioinformatics software for high throughput data analysis and integrative analysis of data produced by multiple different technologies. The goal is to create tools that can be used to identify new oncogenes and tumour suppressor genes, and to identify genes that confer resistance to chemotherapy and targeted anti-cancer therapies.
   Collaboration with the other research groups in the Institute. The institute has ongoing projects that have generated large amounts of in-house genomic, transcriptomic and SNP data on sarcoma, breast cancer and colon cancer, and is developing new projects based on data mining and high throughput sequencing. The bioinformatics group provides expert advice and develop tools that address specific needs for these projects.
Adult soft tissue sarcomas are rare tumours with heterogeneous location, histologic type, molecular aberration and prognosis. Around 60% of these tumours are characterized by a specific genetic alteration, translocation, mutation or amplification. The other 40% have a complex genetic profile with numerous chromosomal gains and losses. Despite the efforts using microarrays and CGH-arrays, to date, no specific chromosomic alteration has been identified for this second group of sarcomas.
We now have different high throughput genomic data (SNP, expression, microRNA...) available on more than 100 tumours that we want to analyse in an integrated manner to characterize this subgroup of tumours.

Interested applicants should contact A.Kauffmann directly at kauffmann@bergonie.org .

Audrey Kauffmann
Bergonie Cancer Institute
229 Cours de l'Argonne
33076 Bordeaux